Give your audience "reasons why" they should try or buy. But don't stop with the practical or rational. Give them emotional or whimsical reasons as well.
This technique gives you a great theme for your next brainstorming session.
"OK, team. The objective of this brainstorming session is to create a list of rational and emotional - practical and whimsical - reasons why folks should buy the client's iGizmo. Here are some responses so far:"
"Your mother will hate it."
"A super-responsive keyboard senses the slightest touch of you finger so you can write messages faster than ever."
"Your friends will be envious ... they will want to see and talk to you about your new iGizmo. And your friends will tell their friends."
"It works even if it gets rained on or dropped into water."
"You can select your own custom colors and accents to express your personality and style."
"It can be attached to AI enhanced VR glasses, but beware, you may never want to return to reality."
"It costs less, and does more, than an iPhone"
You get the idea. Give your audience a mix of smart, whimsical, practical, and emotional reasons to stop by, try, check it out, click, call and buy.
Then use the best of those reasons for concept and copy development.
Creative tip: A common mistake with many ads is that they start with the strongest reason why, then list a few more reasons in descending order of importance to the viewer or reader. That results in an ad that looses steam, fades away, goes limp at the end.
Try this instead: Use your strongest reason first. And your second most compelling reason last.
- 30 Copy and design techniques to attract attention, engage minds, evoke emotion, and change what people think.
- 30 Strategic techniques to build bold brands, position products, and drive direct response results.
- 1000s of example ads in traditional, digital and social media.
- Plus slideshows, workshop activity books and professional tips.
Advanced Creative Skills Newsletter
- It's free. Worth twice the price. And packed with priceless ideas. Check your inbox to confirm.